Have you been sitting all day at work? Then you should read this.
Most of us are guilty of sitting in front of our computers 7-8 hours every day, 5 days a week. Studies have shown that sitting for longer hours has long term and short term effects on our body. Some of us might have been neglecting these dangers to make sure that we finish our jobs on time. Here are some of the risk that we may encounter for sitting for a longer period of time.
- Obesity – the decrease in muscle movement that occurs with prolonged sitting slows metabolism and therefore gaining more fat especially in the mid-section of the body.
- Shoulder and back pain – when we sit for a long time we tend to slouch compromising our body’s posture. Sitting for a long time also adds more pressure to your spine and might cause stress to surrounding muscles and joints.
- Reduced Social Interaction – when your only means of communication is your computer it reduces a person’s social interaction and spending more time sitting on your table than interacting with your friends may also risk you with loneliness and depression.
- Varicose Veins – this are veins that have become twisted and enlarged. Varicose happens when the blood from your legs is impede and cannot go back to the heart causing the veins to enlarge and twist.
- DVT – deep vein thrombosis happens when a blot clots on your leg veins. Sitting for a longer period of time is one of the causes of it. When the blood clot dislodge from the vein it may travel to your heart and may cause an attack.
Prevention is better than cure. There are some things that you can do to avoid having these health risks. You can find simple exercises that you can do while sitting on your desk. It is also advisable that you stand for 15-30 minutes every hour that you spend sitting.
It is really important that our company is taking care of our health and are doing measures to let us have more time for our family and friends. The Va Hub is doing that by giving their VA’s health allowance monthly and allowing them to have 10 paid leaves to spend more time with their love ones and not to stay locked up in front of their table and computer.
Thank you for reading my blog. I hope that you learned a lot from it and you enjoyed reading it. Have a good one.